Friday, May 05, 2006

You have GOT to be kidding me?!


Federal Judge Orders Removal of San Diego Hilltop Vets'
Cross
Thursday, May 04, 2006
PHOTOS
VIDEO


SAN DIEGO — After a 17-year legal battle between the
city and a self-described atheist, a judge has ordered San Diego officials to
remove a giant cross from a hilltop park.
The 29-foot-high cross was
dedicated as a memorial to Korean War veterans in 1954 on a hilltop that towers over
seaside La Jolla.
Philip Paulson, an atheist and Vietnam veteran, has been
challenging its placement on city-owned parkland since 1989. He declined comment
on the ruling Wednesday, but his attorney, James McElroy, said he hoped city
officials would finally back down.
U.S. District Judge Gordon Thompson Jr.
gave the city 90 days to comply with a 1991 injunction forbidding the cross on
public property or start paying $5,000 a day in fines.
"It is now time, and
perhaps long overdue," the judge wrote.
Defying the order is something
cash-strapped San Diego can ill afford. Its pension fund is more than $1 billion
in debt, the federal government is investigating, and there has been talk of
bankruptcy.
Still, Mayor Jerry Sanders said he would ask the city attorney to
appeal.

The city has tried to sell the half-acre beneath the cross to a
nonprofit association that maintains the surrounding memorial walls. But federal
judges have repeatedly blocked the sale, saying the transactions were designed
to favor a buyer who would keep the cross in place. The U.S. Supreme Court
refused to hear the city's appeal in 2003.
A city-sponsored referendum asking
permission from residents to sell the property failed in 2004. The next year, 75
percent of the voters approved a referendum to transfer the land to the federal
government, but a Superior Court judge ruled that measure to be an
"unconstitutional aid to religion." The ruling has been appealed.


THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO TAKE DOWN THAT CROSS! What ever happened to the 1st amendment?! Just thrown right out the window, way-to-go 9th circuit. This is why I don't live in California

17 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled across your blog by accident, but I'm glad I did. I'm impressed that someone your age is so in touch with everything going on around us. I'm encouraged that our education system isn't reaching everyone (or maybe you're not in public schools). There's hope for the future afterall. Thanks for the inspiration and keep delivering the message!

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's talk about the whole separation of church and state thing.
Get it straight, this is not a country for Christians alone. It's a country for all faiths. And a depiction that is clearly focused on one form of worship does not belong on public land paid for by taxpayers of all faiths.
It is not about denying freedom of religion. It is about keeping religion and governement separate from one another.
Forcibly removing a cross from private property would be a violation of the first amendment.
Maybe a visit to California would open your eyes to the basics of civil law.
Don't preach what you can't back up with anything more than indignance.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Real Teen said...

May I ask, please, anonymous, what part of the Constitution seperates religion from government? The 1st amendment only protects against the establishment of a national church. The Framers did not want a Church of England type situation here in the states. Then again, perhaps a visit to Philadelphia would open your eyes...

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Little Miss Chatterbox said...

Anonymous needs some basic instruction on the constitution and our founding fathers.

And Real Teen is right!! I don't have time to elaborate right now but: 1) Separation of Church and state isn't in the constitution but in a letter by Thomas Jefferson
2) The phrase has been taken completely out of context.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Me said...

Wow. Nice website. It's cool that you're Christian cause Christ was cool. That whole thing with God judging you by how you treat the least among us is great. Judge not lest ye be judged. I mean when do I use lest and ye unless it's Jesus talk. All that taking care of the poor and stuff...sweet stuff. Christ was a cool left wing bleeding heart. I mean hanging out with prostitutes, lepers, and tax collectors! Tax Collectors!!! Crazy stuff. I think the question that we all need to ask is...who would Jesus bomb? Peace and Shibboleth! Holla at me when you get a chance!

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

I suspect that too many Americans have no idea what the phrase "separation of church and state" really mean. But Real Teen has it exactly right:

The 1st amendment only protects against the establishment of a national church. The Framers did not want a Church of England type situation here in the states.

Excellent post, Conservative Kat!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger conservativekat said...

Thanks realteen

And for Me's comment:
I find that insulting, and manipulating. It was also no reference to the Cross-issue. Nice try, trying to get back at me for the comment I gave you, which by the way was of pure honesty. I just want to let you know that you made a complete idiot out of yourself. Are you really even a History teacher?

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Me said...

Kat kat kat,
Making a complete idiot of myself is what I do best. And yes, I are an history teacher. I checked out your website and it's so right wing. I love it. You're the Yin to my Yang. You're the Agent Smith to my Neo. I'm so glad we've found each other. The truth is... I'm here to save you from the Dark Side of the Force. Embrace your hapa haoleness. Your Christianity is a valuable asset to fight against the Dark side. What WOULD Jesus do?

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Always On Watch said...

Conservative Kat,
I really like what you're doing here at this blog. I'm going to link to you.

You and I are both conservative and Christian. Those qualities transcend our age difference.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger American Crusader said...

I was visiting my brother last year in San Diego and saw this cross from a distance. At the time I had no idea that it was for Korean veterans.
I'm impressed that someone your age is taking the time to stand up for issues like these.
It must have been good teachers or good parents or both.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger American Crusader said...

Unfortunately kat..you will run into plenty of trolls, such as "me" who have nothing better to do than make idiots of themselves. There is no chance this person ever taught history.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger conservativekat said...

Thank you again for giving comments, it's good to have discussions. And I blogrolled always on watch & american crusader, I'll be sure to visit often.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger RJay said...

I live close to Palm Desert, CA
About half way up Highway 74 high on a Palm Desert hill is a large cross that is lighted at night and on a clear day can be seen for miles.
An atheist has not come along as yet demanding it's removal.
I doubt if the cross will ever be removed.
Palm Desert is located in the Coachella Valley and is one the few places in California that is predominately Republican.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger conservativekat said...

Well then I'm glad that your one of the few people out there in California and I appreciate all that you do.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger HappyGirl said...

The real problem here is that our spineless court system has, once again, succumbed to the constant WHINING of one non-believing individual. Since when has "minority rule" been the order of the day for our country? I haven't read this story, nor do I know anything about it, but I'd be interested in knowing if any other people complained or were part of his suit (i.e. did he have a major petition, or was it just his one, super-loud voice?). What a sad day.

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. My fioricet fioracet picture bayesian anti spam filter free spam filter on outlook Black jack visual basic source code Homeowners insurance desoto tx skimpy bikinis erotic+stories+post

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home